References in classic literature ?
Born in poverty at Boston, January 19 1809, dying under painful circumstances at Baltimore, October 7, 1849, his whole literary career of scarcely fifteen years a pitiful struggle for mere subsistence, his memory malignantly misrepresented by his earliest biographer, Griswold, how completely has truth at last routed falsehood and how magnificently has Poe come into his own, For "The Raven," first published in 1845, and, within a few months, read, recited and parodied wherever the English language was spoken, the half-starved poet received $10
In 1829 we find Poe in Baltimore with another manuscript volume of verses, which was soon published.
It seems that an old bookworm who has a book and curio shop in Baltimore discovered between the leaves of a very old Spanish manuscript a letter written in 1550 detailing the adventures of a crew of mutineers of a Spanish galleon bound from Spain to South America with a vast treasure of "doubloons" and "pieces of eight," I suppose, for they certainly sound weird and piraty.
She had eaten the meal that had been brought her by Mohammed Beyd's Negro slave--a meal of cassava cakes and a nondescript stew in which a new-killed monkey, a couple of squirrels and the remains of a zebra, slain the previous day, were impartially and unsavorily combined; but the one-time Baltimore belle had long since submerged in the stern battle for existence, an estheticism which formerly revolted at much slighter provocation.
In fact, one of them offered her a gourd of milk--a filthy, smoke-begrimed gourd, with the ancient rind of long-curdled milk caked in layers within its neck; but the spirit of the giver touched her deeply, and her face lightened for a moment with one of those almost forgotten smiles of radiance that had helped to make her beauty famous both in Baltimore and London.
Several days after they reached Baltimore Clayton broached the subject of an early marriage to Jane.
But once in London Jane Porter was no more tractable than she had been in Baltimore.
Thence to Java, loading sugar for Marseilles, and back along the Mediterranean to the Black Sea, and on to Baltimore, down to her marks with crome ore, buffeted by hurricanes, short again of bunker coal and calling at Bermuda to replenish.
The other day I saw in the Baltimore Sun the following paragraph:
During the War of the Rebellion, a new and influential club was established in the city of Baltimore in the State of Maryland.
The members of the Gun Club, a circle of artillerymen formed at Baltimore after the American war, conceived the idea of putting themselves in communication with the moon
It had been my intention to proceed by James River and Chesapeake Bay to Baltimore; but one of the steamboats being absent from her station through some accident, and the means of conveyance being consequently rendered uncertain, we returned to Washington by the way we had come (there were two constables on board the steamboat, in pursuit of runaway slaves), and halting there again for one night, went on to Baltimore next afternoon.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Baltic Straits
- Baltic Street Mental Health Board, Incorporated
- Baltic Terminal Kiel International
- Baltic Transport Journal
- Baltic tribes
- Baltic University Urban Forum
- Baltic Urban Sustainable Transport Implementation and Planning
- Baltic Women's Basketball League
- Baltic Writers' Council
- Baltic-American Enterprise Fund
- Baltic-American Partnership Fund
- Baltic-American Partnership Program
- Baltic-Nordic Acoustics Meeting
- Baltic-Nordic Harmonica Festival
- Baltic-White Sea Canal
- Baltic/Fennoscandian Shield
- Baltic/Fennoscandian Shield
- Baltics Small Equity Fund
- Baltics, Russia, and Other countries of the former Soviet Union
- Baltijas Socialo Zinatnu Instituts
- Baltijos Verslo Vystymo Agentura
- Baltikum Tourismus Zentrale
- Baltimore & Ohio
- Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad
- Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
- Baltimore - Washington Parkway
- Baltimore Academic Libraries Consortium
- Baltimore Academy for Behavioral Optometry
- Baltimore Action for Justice in the Americas
- Baltimore Affair
- Baltimore Air Coil
- Baltimore Algebra Project
- Baltimore Amateur Radio Club
- Baltimore and Eastern Railroad Company
- Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railway Company
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Historical Society
- Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter
- Baltimore Area American Flyer Club
- Baltimore Area Boardsailing Association
- Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association
- Baltimore Area Disc Jockey Association
- Baltimore Area Young Republicans
- Baltimore Art Research Outreach Consortium
- Baltimore Association for Retarded Citizens
- Baltimore Beltway Senior Softball League
- Baltimore Beltway Soccer League
- Baltimore Bicycling Club
- Baltimore bird
- Baltimore Blues Society
- Baltimore Brewing Company
- Baltimore Building Strong Families