References in periodicals archive ?
government, quoted Syrian opposition activist "Tony" Al-Taieb in Aleppo as saying that the FSA now considers acquiring MANPADS a major objective.
Comprehensive Table of Contents and more for the report "Light Weapons Market by Product - MANPADS (Man-Portable Air-Defence Systems, ATGW (Anti-Tank Guided Weapons), Heavy Machine Guns, Mortars/Grenade Launchers, Recoilless Rifles), Technology (Guided and Unguided), Platform (Defence and Homeland Security) by Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, the Middle-East, Latin America, ROW) - Forecasts & Analysis to 2014 - 2019" is available at http://www.
In area defence MANPADS are used either to break up, harass and destroy attacking enemy air formations or else to force them up into the higher altitudes where they can be tackled under the best possible conditions by sensor-guided anti-aircraft missiles and/or gun systems.
The weapons, often referred to as MANPADS or 'Man Portable Air Defence Systems', are favoured by militant groups because they are light and portable, relatively simple to use and can in theory bring down a civilian airliner.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) supports international efforts and has established an International MANPADS Assist Visit (MAV) program within the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
57) As of February 2005, the United States had destroyed 10,500 MANPADS in twelve countries.
The RBS 70 NG sight can be applied in a multitude of system configurations ranging from MANPADS (man-portable air defence system) to manned or even remotely-controlled vehicle integrated air defence systems.
Should Syria go the way of Libya and Iraq, the international community could be confronted with the loss of government control over thousands of additional MANPADS, some of which are significantly more sophisticated than most of the MANPADS looted from depots in Libya,'' wrote the study's author, Matthew Schroeder, director of the FAS' Arms Sales Monitoring Project.
MANPADS are just the sort of weapons that could be seized by extremist elements of the opposition and turned against Western or allied forces down the road.
Some of the MANPADS looted from Libya were Stela-2, or SA-7a weapons first fielded by the Red Army in 1968.
Mr Martin went on to tell the security council that of particular concern is the large number of MANPADS (man-portable air defence systems) and ammunition still unaccounted for, which pose both a disarmament problem for Libya and a proliferation risk for the region.
Al-Qaeda particularly wants to get hold of Manpads - or man-portable air defence systems.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Manotick Intermediate Hockey League
- Manouvrier, Leonce Pierre
- Manouvrier, Léonce Pierre
- Manowar (wargame)
- Manpack Radio Direction Finding System
- Manpack Receive Terminal
- Manpack Secondary Imagery Dissemination System
- Manpack UHF Terminal
- Manpack Unit
- MANPER Interface File
- Manportable Radio Direction-Finding System
- Manportable Surveillance and Target Acquisition Radar
- Manportable Target Locator Device
- Manportable Weather Support System
- Manpower & Equipment Force Packaging
- Manpower & Force Management Course
- Manpower & Management Services Division
- Manpower & Organization Flight
- Manpower & Personnel
- Manpower & Personnel Integration
- Manpower & Personnel Management Information System
- Manpower & Personnel Module
- Manpower & Personnel Module - Base
- Manpower & Personnel Module - MAJCOM
- Manpower & Personnel Readiness Center
- Manpower & Personnel Research & Development
- Manpower & Reserve Affairs
- Manpower Access Report System
- Manpower Allocation Requirements Criteria