References in classic literature ?
The Pacific Ocean extends from north to south between the two Polar Circles, and from east to west between Asia and America, over an extent of 145 degrees of longitude.
Scarcely could the long vehicle feel the broad undulations of the ocean.
The narrow seas around these isles, where British admirals keep watch and ward upon the marches of the Atlantic Ocean, are subject to the turbulent sway of the West Wind.
Even at this day, if the Malay Archipelago were converted into land, the tropical parts of the Indian Ocean would form a large and perfectly enclosed basin, in which any great group of marine animals might be multiplied; and here they would remain confined, until some of the species became adapted to a cooler climate, and were enabled to double the southern capes of Africa or Australia, and thus reach other and distant seas.
265-269) And Thaumas wedded Electra the daughter of deep- flowing Ocean, and she bare him swift Iris and the long-haired Harpies, Aello (Storm-swift) and Ocypetes (Swift-flier) who on their swift wings keep pace with the blasts of the winds and the birds; for quick as time they dart along.
ll 270-294) And again, Ceto bare to Phoreys the fair-cheeked Graiae, sisters grey from their birth: and both deathless gods and men who walk on earth call them Graiae, Pemphredo well-clad, and saffron-robed Enyo, and the Gorgons who dwell beyond glorious Ocean in the frontier land towards Night where are the clear- voiced Hesperides, Sthenno, and Euryale, and Medusa who suffered a woeful fate: she was mortal, but the two were undying and grew not old.
Immersed nearly four miles under the ocean, this metal prison defied every effort of its prisoners.
Before trying to seize the projectile, Engineer Murchison wanted to find its exact position at the bottom of the ocean.
All this mad dashing and splashing of the waters of the big ocean, which the mischievous wind caused without any good reason whatever, resulted in a terrible storm, and a storm on the ocean is liable to cut many queer pranks and do a lot of damage.
Now from the gray mists of the ocean, the white-sailed ships of Fingal appeared.
This brilliant expanse, several miles in width, is on all sides divided, either by a line of snow-white breakers from the dark heaving waters of the ocean, or from the blue vault of heaven by the strips of land, crowned by the level tops of the cocoa-nut trees.
And in this stretch of ocean, lookouts were mastheaded at day-dawn and kept mastheaded until twilight of evening, when the Mary Turner was hove-to, to hold her position through the night.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Oceanography and Meteorology
- Oceanography Center
- Oceanography Graduate Students Association
- Oceanography of the Southern California Bight
- Oceanography, Institute of
- Oceanology International
- Oceanospirillum commune
- Oceanospirillum vagum
- Oceans and Coastal Protection Division
- Oceans and Human Health
- Oceans and Human Health Initiative
- Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs
- Oceans and Oceanography
- Oceans and Oceanography
- Oceans Beyond Piracy
- Oceans Habitat and Enhancement Branch
- Oceans Observation Panel for Climate
- oceans of
- oceans of (something)
- Oceans of Fun
- oceans of something
- Oceans Policy Science Advisory Group
- Oceans Program Activity Tracking
- Oceans, Marine Affairs and Fisheries
- Oceanship Management Services
- Oceanside American Little League
- Oceanside Beach State Recreation Site
- Oceanside Christopher Federal Credit Union
- Oceanside Community Capacity Partners
- Oceanside High School
- Oceanside Longboard Surfing Club
- Oceanside Museum of Art
- Oceanside National Little League
- Oceanside Photo & Telescope Astronomical Society
- Oceanside Photo and Telescope