References in classic literature ?
The continent, of which this kingdom is apart, extends itself, as I have reason to believe, eastward, to that unknown tract of America westward of California; and north, to the Pacific Ocean, which is not above a hundred and fifty miles from Lagado; where there is a good port, and much commerce with the great island of Luggnagg, situated to the north-west about 29 degrees north latitude, and 140 longitude.
No cradle is so comfortable as the long, rocking swell of the Pacific.
The immediate long-distance problem is, of course, to talk from New York to the Pacific.
If one nation maintains constantly a disciplined army, ready for the service of ambition or revenge, it obliges the most pacific nations who may be within the reach of its enterprises to take corresponding precautions.
Similar facts were observed on the 23rd of July in the same year, in the Pacific Ocean, by the Columbus, of the West India and Pacific Steam Navigation Company.
The steamer which crossed the Pacific from Yokohama to San Francisco made a direct connection with that from Hong Kong, and it could not sail until the latter reached Yokohama; and if Mr.
From that time, the Hudson's Bay Company enjoyed a monopoly of the Indian trade from the coast of the Pacific to the Rocky Mountains, and for a considerable extent north and south.
Issuing thence to the west and south, as a youth leaves the shelter of his parental house, this spirit found the way to the Indies, discovered the coasts of a new continent, and traversed at last the immensity of the great Pacific, rich in groups of islands remote and mysterious like the constellations of the sky.
In several works descriptive of the islands in the Pacific, many of the most beautiful combinations of vocal sounds have been altogether lost to the ear of the reader by an over-attention to the ordinary rules of spelling.
This led him to advert to a great enterprise set on foot and conducted by him, between twenty and thirty years since, having for its object to carry the fur trade across the Rocky Mountains, and to sweep the shores of the Pacific.
He heard Fanshaw say there was no need to be silly; that not only had Cornish captains been heroes, but that they were heroes still: that near that very spot there was an old admiral, now retired, who was scarred by thrilling voyages full of adventures; and who had in his youth found the last group of eight Pacific Islands that was added to the chart of the world.
The Pacific is more desolate than other seas; its spaces seem more vast, and the most ordinary journey upon it has somehow the feeling of an adventure.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- pachyvaginitis cystica
- PACI Online Proposal System
- Paci sunt maxime contraria
- Pacifastacus leniusculus
- Pacific & Orient
- Pacific & Virgin Islands Training Initiative
- Pacific (ocean)
- Pacific (ocean)
- Pacific Academy of Ecclesiastical Music
- Pacific Accreditation Cooperation
- Pacific Achievement International
- Pacific ADP Server Site - Korea
- Pacific Advanced Civil Engineering, Inc.
- Pacific Advanced Technology, Inc
- Pacific Aero Products
- Pacific Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls
- Pacific Agreement on Closer Economic Relations
- Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center
- Pacific AIDS Research Center
- Pacific Air Combat Operations Staff
- Pacific Air Command
- Pacific Air Command United States Army
- Pacific Air Forces
- Pacific Air Forces Communications Operations
- Pacific Air Forces Manual
- Pacific Air Forces Pamphlet
- Pacific Air Services Alliance
- Pacific Aircraft Maintenance Corporation
- Pacific Airlift Control Center
- Pacific Airways
- Pacific Alaska Range Complex
- Pacific Alliance China Land Limited
- Pacific Alliance for Catholic Education
- Pacific Alliance International Marketing Ltd.