U-238


Also found in: Wikipedia.
AcronymDefinition
U-238Uranium-238
References in periodicals archive ?
Internationally, the deep alarm of officials associated with the discovery of U-238 was compounded earlier this year when a group of individuals was discovered attempting to smuggle Cesium-137, a highly radioactive isotope that is a waste product from nuclear reactors," Murinson added.
It should be pointed out that, long before the actual experimental results confirmed it, Niels Bohr had, in 1939, predicted that a neutron could cause fission in U-238 only if its velocity exceeded a certain critical value.
The first line of the table below shows 1,000 atoms of natural uranium split between 7 atoms of U-235 and 993 atoms of U-238.
Neutron count is an important way to identify SNM because SNM and U-238 emit neutrons spontaneously in significant numbers.
Between the Gulf War and current wars, at least 2,700 tons of this particulated mutagenic waste (the 99 percent residual U-238 from our nuclear power facilities, provided at little or no cost to the weapons industry) has been dumped on Iraq and another 1,000 tons on Afghanistan (see www?
The used reactor rods are made of safe U-238 isotope for 95%, the remaining 5% can be recycled, in particular, the remaining U-235 and plutonium in fuel rods are recycled into fuel, while the remained isotopes are used in radiology medicine.
Then, the centrifuge throws the heavier U-238 atoms towards the wall, letting the rare U-235 ones accumulate near the centre.
Of course, U-238 bullets are still hot--l,000 times more radioactive than the background level--and they will likely remain contaminated beyond terrestrial time.
Organic components labeled with U-238 radioactive decay products in Dictionema shales resulting from nuclear recoil processes // 5th Intern.
Due to the advanced types of reactors proposed for building under this program, the overall amount of fuel available for consumption actually increases with each cyclical iteration, due to the transmutation of U-238 into burnable Pu-239 in the reactor core (DOE, 2007.