References in periodicals archive ?
Contrary to glowing reports in the US press, UNITA was never really interested in Western-style democracy.
8) As violence became more generalized inAngola, the perpetrators of the violence against civilians--whether located in the urban centers that MPLA controlled or the rural areas where UNITA held sway--involved not only armed military units and guerrillas but also other state agents, including police and security forces, party vigilantes, and private enforcers.
Crucial information supplied by US intelligence revealed the locations of UNITA troops to him, enabling him to anticipate their movements.
Asi, Agostinho Neto, respaldado por Moscu y La Habana, y UNITA, de Jonas Savimbi, pese a su antigua extraccion maoista, apoyado por el Tio Sam y por el regimen del Apartheid, se enfrentaron en una guerra por el poder que fue mas alla de las ideologias y de la geopolitica, fuertemente vinculada con la explotacion de la riqueza diamantifera del pais.
In 1990, UNITA leader Jonas Savimbi officially recognized Jose Eduardo dos Santos, the MPLA leader, as Angola's head of state.
In a statement faxed to The Associated Press in Lisbon, the UNITA rebels claim that the aircraft was shot down because it was carrying diamonds 'stolen from our land.
Without them UNITA wouldn't be able to maintain its options.
Increased attacks by UNITA have caused the government to sell more drilling licenses in order to pay for the ongoing civil war.
The Soviets poured huge resources into propping up the government's hopeless war against Jonas Savimbi's UNITA rebels.
It was 1987 when the Soviet- and Cuban-backed Angolan forces made their second attempt to take the headquarters of the UNITA movement, the pro-Western faction in Angola, whom ourselves and the US were supporting at that stage.
In addition, UNITA assets held outside Angola will be frozen until such time as the EU thinks fit to release them.
Windrich's book, The Cold War Guerrilla, presents depressing evidence of the extent to which some journalism became an integral part of the right-wing's efforts in the United States to both manipulate and provide justification for the Reagan and Bush administration's foreign policy through the promotion of Jonas Savimbi, the leader of UNITA.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Unit Ventilator
- Unit Ventilator
- Unit Victim Advocacy
- Unit Voting Counselor
- Unit Vulnerability List
- unit water content
- Unit Watts Out
- Unit Weapons Trainer
- Unit Web Site Requirements
- Unit weight
- unit-area acoustical ohm
- Unit-Cell Waveguide
- unit-dose package
- Unit-dose packaging
- unit-dose system
- Unit-Head Machine Tool
- Unit-Invariant Abelian
- Unit-level Command and Control
- Unit-Level Command Simulation
- Unit-Level Effectiveness Assessment Documentation
- Unit-Level Logistics System - Ground/Aviation/S4
- unit-linked policy
- Unit-Liter Dose
- unit-membrane model
- unit-related equipment and supplies
- Unit-weighted regression
- Unit/Mobile Conduct-Of-Fire Trainer
- Unita Analisi Crimini Violenti
- Unità di Conto Europea
- Unità di Documentazione e Informazione per la Ricerca Agraria
- Unità di Ricerca Locali
- Unità Immobiliari Urbane
- Unità Lavorative
- Unita Locale Socio Sanitaria
- unità pediatrica di terapia intensiva
- Unità Sanitarie Locali
- Unita Socio Sanitarie Locali
- Unita Tecnologie Materiale Rotabile
- Unità Terapia Intensiva Neonatale
- Unità Territoriale di Salute Mentale
- Unita, L
- Unità, L
- unital left module
- Unital module
- Unital, Completely Positive