References in classic literature ?
Mahomet on his part was not idle; he solicited the assistance of the Mahometan princes, pressed them with all the motives of religion, and obtained a reinforcement of two thousand musketeers from the Arabs, and a train of artillery from the Turks.
The smudge-pot artillery was set ablaze, and kept blazing until the news came that the icy forces had retreated.
Happy the blest ages that knew not the dread fury of those devilish engines of artillery, whose inventor I am persuaded is in hell receiving the reward of his diabolical invention, by which he made it easy for a base and cowardly arm to take the life of a gallant gentleman; and that, when he knows not how or whence, in the height of the ardour and enthusiasm that fire and animate brave hearts, there should come some random bullet, discharged perhaps by one who fled in terror at the flash when he fired off his accursed machine, which in an instant puts an end to the projects and cuts off the life of one who deserved to live for ages to come.
The cheap prices of its commodities are the heavy artillery with which it batters down all Chinese walls, with which it forces the barbarians' intensely obstinate hatred of foreigners to capitulate.
Though the artillery of the left wing of the Russians kept up a steady fire on this mass,--visible like a stain now black, now flaming, in the midst of the trackless snow,--this shot and shell seemed to the torpid creatures only one inconvenience the more.
Madame Granson, widow of a lieutenant-colonel of artillery killed at Jena, possessed, as her whole means of livelihood, a meagre pension of nine hundred francs a year, and three hundred francs from property of her own, plus a son whose support and education had eaten up all her savings.
Hearing these words the King advanced towards me with a menacing cry as if to pierce me through the diagonal; and in that same moment there arose from myriads of his subjects a multitudinous war-cry, increasing in vehemence till at last methought it rivalled the roar of an army of a hundred thousand Isosceles, and the artillery of a thousand Pentagons.
He was a driver in the artillery, and had only come into action about seven.
But the skilful manner in which Dantes had handled the lugger had entirely reassured him; and then, when he saw the light plume of smoke floating above the bastion of the Chateau d'If, and heard the distant report, he was instantly struck with the idea that he had on board his vessel one whose coming and going, like that of kings, was accompanied with salutes of artillery.
The cities of Germany are absolutely free, they own but little country around them, and they yield obedience to the emperor when it suits them, nor do they fear this or any other power they may have near them, because they are fortified in such a way that every one thinks the taking of them by assault would be tedious and difficult, seeing they have proper ditches and walls, they have sufficient artillery, and they always keep in public depots enough for one year's eating, drinking, and firing.
As they climbed the hill on the farther side artillery began to boom.
My lord," answered De Chavigny, with a low bow, "I have on the ramparts twenty pieces of artillery and in my casemates thirty thousand guns.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Artik Catacomb Burial Ground
- Artikel Zur Krankenpflege
- Artikuluen Datu Base Dokumentala
- Artillerie Beobachtungs Radar Anlage
- Artillerie Daten Lage Einsatz Rechnerverbund
- Artillery Accuracy Effectiveness
- Artillery and Infantry Combat System
- Artillery battery
- artillery bogie
- Artillery Breakthrough Division
- Artillery Cannon
- Artillery Cannon
- artillery cart
- artillery cartridge extractor
- artillery cleaning staff
- Artillery Command and Reconnaissance Vehicle
- Artillery Communications/Aural Protection Systems
- Artillery Computer System
- Artillery Counterpreparation
- Artillery Delivered Anti-personnel Mine
- Artillery Delivered Expendable Jammer
- Artillery Delivered Multi-Purpose Submunition
- Artillery Delivered Sensor
- Artillery Delivery Scatterable Mine
- Artillery Direct Fire Trainer
- Artillery Exercise
- Artillery Extended Range Cargo Projectile
- artillery fire
- artillery fire
- Artillery Fire Control Systems
- artillery fire plan table
- Artillery Fire Support Center
- Artillery Fired Atomic Projectile Device
- Artillery Flash Ranging
- Artillery Force Simulation Model