References in classic literature ?
Speak with less impertinence, master thief of extra measure," replied the commissary, "if you don't want me to make you hold your tongue in spite of your teeth.
He says true," said the commissary, "for he has himself written his story as grand as you please, and has left the book in the prison in pawn for two hundred reals.
I told you already to go gently, master commissary," said Pasamonte; "their lordships yonder never gave you that staff to ill-treat us wretches here, but to conduct and take us where his majesty orders you; if not, by the life of-never mind-; it may be that some day the stains made in the inn will come out in the scouring; let everyone hold his tongue and behave well and speak better; and now let us march on, for we have had quite enough of this entertainment.
The commissary lifted his staff to strike Pasamonte in return for his threats, but Don Quixote came between them, and begged him not to ill-use him, as it was not too much to allow one who had his hands tied to have his tongue a trifle free; and turning to the whole chain of them he said:
But as I know that it is a mark of prudence not to do by foul means what may be done by fair, I will ask these gentlemen, the guards and commissary, to be so good as to release you and let you go in peace, as there will be no lack of others to serve the king under more favourable circumstances; for it seems to me a hard case to make slaves of those whom God and nature have made free.
The two guards led the prisoner toward the table, and upon a sign from the commissary drew back so far as to be unable to hear anything.
This commissary was a man of very repulsive mien, with a pointed nose, with yellow and salient cheek bones, with eyes small but keen and penetrating, and an expression of countenance resembling at once the polecat and the fox.
The commissary then, instead of continuing to interrogate him, made him a long speech upon the danger there is for an obscure citizen to meddle with public matters.
But, Monsieur Commissary," said he, calmly, "believe that I know and appreciate, more than anybody, the merit of the incomparable eminence by whom we have the honor to be governed.
Monsieur Bonacieux," said the commissary, looking at the accused as if his little eyes had the faculty of reading to the very depths of hearts, "you have a wife?
His proposal of marriage being accepted by the lady, the commissary took his seat behind the proprieties with great decorum, and Mrs General drove until the commissary died.
The commissary having been buried with all the decorations suitable to the service (the whole team of proprieties were harnessed to his hearse, and they all had feathers and black velvet housings with his coat of arms in the corner), Mrs General began to inquire what quantity of dust and ashes was deposited at the bankers'.
Acronyms browser ?
- COMMS TECH
Full browser ?
- Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique
- Commissariat à l'énergie atomique
- Commissariat à l'Information du Canada
- Commissariat à la Simplification Administrative
- Commissariat au Développement de l’Agronomie Saharienne
- Commissariat au Patrimoine Arboricole de Bruxelles
- Commissariat aux Langues Officielles
- Commissariat Général au Développement Durable
- Commissariat Général au Tourisme
- Commissariat Général aux Questions Juives
- Commissariat General aux Refugies et aux Apatrides
- Commissariat Général aux Relations Internationales
- Commissariat Wallon E-Administration et Simplification
- Commissario Tecnico
- Commissaris van de Koningin
- commissary courts
- Commissary general
- Commissary general of subsistence
- Commissary Officer
- Commissary Operating Manual
- Commissary Privilege Card
- Commissary Resale Division of the Army Stock Fund
- Commissary Store
- Commissary, BX, Post Office
- Commissaryman First Class
- Commissaryman Second Class
- Commissaryman Third Class
- Commissie Aanprijzing Veterinaire Producten
- Commissie Algemene Vraagstukken Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek
- Commissie Buitenslands Gediplomeerden Volksgezondheid
- Commissie Gelijke Behandeling
- Commissie Gelijke Kansen
- Commissie Internationalisering Faculteit Geneeskunde
- Commissie Invoeringsaspecten Behandeling Heroineverslaving
- Commissie Mensenrechten van Pakistan
- Commissie Milieuhygiene Luchtvaartterrein Rotterdam
- Commissie Moleculair Biologische Diagnostiek
- Commissie Onderzoek Minerale Voeding
- Commissie Regionaal Overleg Schiphol
- Commissie Transport Gevaarlijke Goederen
- Commissie Vernieuwing Biologie Onderwijs