143) The WTO also offers internships in Geneva, online courses and occasional seminars, as does the ACWL.
Gregory Shaffer, Assessing the ACWL from a Broader Governance Perspective 3 (Minn.
For the programs provided by the ACWL, see Annual Training Course, Advisory Center on WTO Law, http://www.
139) Although the ACWL is described as part of the dispute settlement system of the WTO, "it must also remain independent of the WTO and its Members ff it is to fulfill its role effectively.
143) As the executive director of the ACWL stated at its inauguration:
148) The billing policy reflects an attempt to strike a balance between several of the goals of the Centre: the ability to pay on the basis of an objective scale, promoting settlement of disputes and avoiding frivolous cases, and creating incentives to become ACWL members.
162) The General Assembly meets annually to assess the activities of the ACWL, to elect the Management Board, and to adopt the budget proposal.
The current staff of the ACWL consists of an Executive Director, four lawyers, one office manager and one secretary.
The Work of the ACWL in its First Year of Operation
The ACWL was able to do a substantial amount of work during its first year in operation.
In India's complaint against the European Union and the United States involving the automotive sector, a case that began in 1998-99 and lasted until 2001, Delhi paid the ACWL an hourly rate of $150 to prepare submissions and statements.
The Peruvian government solicited the help of the ACWL in a dispute involving the European Community.