(21) Re Arcabi Pty Ltd (recs & mgrs apptd
) (in liq.); ex parte Theobold (Arcabi) (2014) 288 F.L.R.
Proportion of Appeals With Procedural Defects % defaults % stricken AD 0.19% 0.58% Apptd
. 22.62% 29.76% Retained 21.95% 21.95% Note: Table made from bar graph.
Offense Severity For Direct Appeals Only misdemeanors felonies AD 25.69% 74.31% Apptd
. 39.58% 60.42% Note: Table made from pie chart.
(47) See, eg, Clos Farming Estates Pty Ltd (rec and mgr apptd
) v Easton (2002) 11 BPR 20 605; Adrian J Bradbrook et al, Australian Real Property Law (Thompson Reuters, 5th ed, 2011) 840-1 [17.230].
(191) R v Socialist Worker Printers and Publishers Ltd; Ex parte A-G (UK)  1 QB 637, 649-51 (Lord Widgery CJ); John Fairfax Group Pty Ltd (rec and mgr apptd
) v Local Court of New South Wales (1991) 26 NSWLR 131, 141 (Kirby P).
(69) Re New World Alliance Pty Ltd (rec and mgr apptd
); Sycotex Pty Ltd v Baseler [No 2] (1994) 51 FCR 425,445 (Gummow J), citing Heydon, above n 68,131.
See Re Ansett Australia Ltd [No 1] (2001) 115 FCR376, 388  (Goldberg J); Re Spyglass Management Group Pty Ltd (admin apptd
) (2004) 51 ASCR 432, 433-4  (Finkelstein J); Re Carter; SFM Australasia Pty Ltd (admin apptd
)  FCA 360 (16 April 2009).
(100) See, eg, Hungry Jack's Pty Ltd v Burger King Corp (1999) 30 ACSR 551, affd Burger King Corporation v Hungry Jack's Pty Ltd (2011) 69 NSWLR 558; Garry Rogers Motors (Aust) Pty Ltd v Subaru (Aust) Pty Ltd  ATPR [paragraph] 41-703; Far Horizons Pty Ltd v McDonald's Australia Ltd  VSC 310 (18 August 2000); GEC Marconi Systems Pty Ltd v BHP Information Technology Pty Ltd (2003) 128 FCR 1; Vodafone Pacific Ltd v Mobile Innovations Ltd  NSWCA 15 (20 February 2004); J F Keir Pty Ltd v Priority Management Systems Pty Ltd (admin apptd
)  NSWSC 789 (24 July 2007)  (Rein AJ); Mangrove Mountain Quarries Pty Ltd v Barlow  NSWSC 492 (17 May 2007)  (Windeyer]).
Such an approach would be justified on the principle in the common law that there is a stronger bias in favour of supporting the finality of international arbitrations: see Joy Manufacturing Co v A E Goodwin Ltd (rec apptd
)  1 NSWR 57, 59 (Street J); W C Thomas & Sons Pty Ltd v Bunge (Australia) Pty Ltd  VR 801, 805 (Gillard, Newton and Norris JJ).
(26) On the adoption of 'unjust factors' in Australian law, see David Securities Pty Ltd v Commonwealth Bank of Australia (1992) 175 CLR 353, 379 (Mason CJ, Deane, Toohey, Gaudron and McHugh JJ); Torpey Vander Have Pty Ltd v Mass Constructions Pty Ltd  NSWCA 263 (Unreported, Spigelman CJ, Young CJ in Eq and Foster AJA, 13 August 2002)  (Spigelman CJ); Ethnic Earth Pty Ltd v Quoin Technology Pty Ltd (rec & mgr apptd
) (in liq) [No 3] (2006h) 94 SASR 103, 117 (Bleby J), citing J W Carter and D J Harland, Contract Law in Australia (4th ed, 2002) 915-16.
In the first Australian case that specifically considered the nature of the obligation of directors to creditors, Re New World Alliance Pty Ltd (rec and mgr apptd
); Sycotex Pty Ltd v Baseler, Gummow J of the Federal Court took the view that the directors did not owe a direct duty to creditors.
CONTENTS I Introduction II Background to the Decision A The Facts B A Short History of the Legal Issue 1 The Media World Decision 2 Sons of Gwalia Ltd (admin apptd
) v Margaretic 3 The Concept Sports Litigation 4 Sons of Gwalia Ltd v Margaretic III The High Court Decision ....