Some CIDA officials argue that, as a government institution, CIDA is already bound by Canadas international human rights obligations, and that paragraph 4(1)(c) is therefore redundant.
(201) CIDA officials also mused that military and security-related aid could arguably be justified in terms of poverty reduction.
Nevertheless, CIDA officials chose to prioritize consistency with the DAC definition.
However, its critical potential was compromised by poor legislative drafting, and its proponents ultimately left this challenge in the hands of CIDA and other government institutions unwilling to carry it forward.
Brian Tomlinson, "Approaches to Strengthening CIDA: Creating an Effective Government Department for International Cooperation" (2009), online: Canadian Council for International Co-operation (CCIC) <www.ccic.ca>.
(74) See generally David R Morrison, Aid and Ebb Tide: A History of CIDA and Canadian Development Assistance (Waterloo, Ont: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 1998).
See also Cranford Pratt, "DFAIT's Takeover Bid of CIDA: The Institutional Future of the Canadian International Development Agency" (1998) 5:2 Canadian Foreign Policy J 1; Stephen Brown, "CIDA under the Gun" in Jean Daudelin & Daniel Schwanen, eds, Canada Among Nations 2007: What Room for Manoeuvre?
(76) CIDA, Report to Parliament on Canada's Official Development Assistance 2009-2010 (Gatineau: CIDA, 2010) at 2-7, online: <www.acdi-cida.gc.ca> [CIDA, 2009-10 Summary Report].
(80) See CIDA, Report to Parliament on Canada's Official Development Assistance 2008-2009 (Gatineau: CIDA, 2009) at 22, online: <www.acdi-cida.gc.ca> [CIDA, 2008-09 Summary Report].
(119) See Brown, "CIDA under the Gun", supra note 75; Erin Simpson, "From Inter-Dependence to Conflation; Security and Development in the Post-9/11 Era" (2007) 28:2 Can J Development Studies 263.
(120) See Stephen Brown, "Aid Effectiveness and the Framing of New Canadian Aid Initiatives" in Stephen Brown, ed, Struggling for Effectiveness: CIDA and Canadian Foreign Aid (Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 2012) 79 at 97-98 [Brown, "Aid Effectiveness"] [Brown, Struggling for Effectiveness],
(122) See CIDA, News Release, "Canada Moves on Another Element of its Aid Effectiveness Agenda" (23 February 2009), online: <www.acdi-cida.gc.ca>.