References in periodicals archive ?
Previously the TPLF used federalism as a tool to dominate the ruling EPRDF. The coalition, which includes four regional parties including Abiy's Oromo Demo- cratic Party, was originally conceived as a central party to balance the interests of the country's ethnic groups.
For example, in June last year, a bomb directed at a rally where Ahmed was speaking was blamed on disgruntled elements of the ethnic Tigrayan sector of the EPRDF.
The EPRDF itself is a coalition of four parties from Oromia, Amhara, Tigray and the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region.
Months of street protests by largely ethnic Oromos (who make up a majority in the country) led to Ahmed's election as the chairman of the EPRDF and his subsequent appointment as prime minister just a month later, in April 2018.
The Somali population also don't get to choose their President, who has always been picked from Addis Ababa the capital of Ethiopia, because the Somalis are not part of the four States that are members of the ruling EPRDF party.
In April the EPRDF appointed Abiy Ahmed the first prime minister from the Oromo ethnic group, the country's largest, who has led a programme of reforms, making peace with former enemy Eritrea and reconciling with various opposition groups.
"It is not about wiping out history - a history that has brought us here," Abiy told the audience, many of them wearing T-shirts and hats emblazoned with the logos of the four ethnic groupings in the EPRDF. There was scattered applause through his remarks in a large conference hall.
The EPRDF (Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front) is the Tigrayan-led political party that has held the seats of parliament and the office of the Prime Minister for years in Ethiopia.
On Thursday, Desalegn abruptly announced he would step down as Prime Minister and head of the ruling Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) coalition.
The ruling EPRDF coalition's council met on Friday and decided to impose emergency rule, the state-run Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation said.
Hailemariam's announcement came after the ruling EPRDF coalition concluded a weeks-long meeting meant to thrash out policies to address grievances.
(3) The directive, (4) which took effect amidst a crisis of legitimacy for the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF), provided the military and security forces with sweeping new powers (5) to counter what the government described as the threat posed by "anti-peace groups" working "in close collaboration with foreign elements." (6) As soon as the emergency was formally imposed, the government officially restricted access to the internet (7) and some media outlets, (8) banned protests, (9) and detained more than 26,000 protestors (10) in "rehabilitation camps." (11)
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- EPR Bridge
- EPR Bridge
- EPR Bridge
- EPR experiment
- EPR paradox
- Eprapah Creek Catchment Landcare Association
- EPresence Interactive Media
- ePresence, Inc.
- Épreuve d'Aptitude Technique
- Epreuve d'essai
- Épreuve Uniforme de Francais
- Épreuve Visuelle d'Intérêts
- Épreuves Anticipées de Français
- Épreuves Classantes Nationales
- Épreuves d'Artiste
- Épreuves Fonctionnelles Respiratoires
- Épreuves pour l'Examen du Langage
- EPRI Cable Testing Network