When building stations, the GTPR typically relied on a small number of standardized station plans.
Today, the GTPRs transcontinental line is part of the Canadian National Railway system, and the railway continues to be a major employer in the City of Melville.
Restoring the bridge, the next priority, was organized by GTPR Engineer H.
Eventually, the GTPR failed to meet its financial obligations and, in 1923, it was absorbed into the Canadian National Railways.
For the GTPR's passenger station in Winnipeg, the company partnered with the other transcontinental carrier, the Canadian Northern Railway, and prepared plans for the "most modern terminal in the world." The contract for the depot was awarded to the prestigious New York architectural firm of Warren & Wetmore, designers of New York City's Grand Central Station.
Hays changed Winnipeg's skyline when he announced on 14 August 1910, as President of both the GTR and GTPR, that the "Fort Garry Hotel" was to be built based on a design by architects Ross and MacFarlane.
Naming the hotel "The Selkirk" rather than honouring the history of this hallowed site was just one means to pressure the HBC to allow the GTPR to have one large contiguous lot, going all the way back to Assiniboine Avenue, in case the hotel needed to be expanded.
On 9 December, a GTPR Express train with two special cars arrived at Union Station from Regina carrying dignitaries to attend the opening festivities.
The official opening of the hotel occurred the following day, 11 December 1913, with a tour of the building by numerous GTPR managers and special guests.
On 7 March, 1919, the GTPR was nationalized to be operated by a federal Board of Management.