References in periodicals archive ?
"As you might expect, the buoys provide valuable information for mariners that go out to sea on a day-to-day basis these users care mostly about sea-state and weather conditions," says Philip Bogden, CEO of GoMOOS. "But the unexpected benefits come from the information below the ocean's surface, which has been largely a black box until now.
GoMOOS runs primarily on the FreeBSD operating system and operates using an open-source model, both because the software was ideal for the needs of the project and because it invokes the spirit of collaboration and support on which GoMOOS was founded.
Anyone interested in GoMOOS data can visit www.gomoos.org, or use the Dial-A-Buoy service that operates in conjunction with the National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration (NOAA) National Data Buoy Center's (NDBC) Dial-A-Buoy service.
Before the use of GoMOOS buoys, there was no effective means of determining oceanic conditions, save for heading out to sea to collect measurements manually.
Bogden cites cooperation with other agencies and projects as vital to most effectively using data collected through GoMOOS. "Turning data into useful information is not easy, and data is most useful when put in context with other sources of information," he says.
Table 1 Mean air temperature and mean water temperatures at 1 m depth for each month in which fronds were collected; all data from buoys in the Gulf of Maine Ocean Observing System (GoMOOS) 2001 Mar.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Gómez Palacio
- Gómez Palacio
- Gómez y Báez, Máximo
- Gómez, José Miguel
- Gomez, Juan Vicente
- Gómez, Juan Vicente
- Gomiashvili, Aleksandr
- Gomiashvili, Aleksandr Konstantinovich
- Gomori aldehyde fuchsin stain
- Gomori chrome alum hematoxylin-phloxine stain
- Gomori methenamine-silver stain
- Gomori method for chromaffin
- Gomori nonspecific acid phosphatase stain
- Gomori nonspecific alkaline phosphatase stain
- Gomori one-step trichrome stain
- Gomori silver impregnation stain
- Gomori silver impregnationstain
- Gomori's Methenamine Silver
- Gomori, George
- Gomori-Grocott methenamine silver stain
- Gomori-Jones periodic acid-methenamine-silver stain