During the early 20th century, as many of the founding members retired or died, the NBHS worked with few resources to preserve and promote Loyalist history and, to an increasing extent, the history of the pre-1763 era.
In the 1880s the NBHS transcribed inscriptions from the tombstones.
60) In 1914-15 the NBHS and the Dominion Parks Branch corresponded on the issue, and by the late 1920s the owner of the property, the Department of National Defence, had agreed to build an automobile road to the top of the hill.
72) The patriotic NBHS went to far as call for changing the name of the Loyalist province, named after "a small German Dutchy," to Acadia.
A number of Catholics, such as Timothy O'Brien, became involved with the NBHS starting in the early 1900s.
The historic cairns and plaques that began to dot the province, thanks to the NBHS and the National Historic Sites and Monuments Board in the early 20th century, celebrated the pre-Loyalist and post-Loyalist eras.
With the NHS, NBHS, the Loyalist Society, and local and provincial political and business leaders lobbying for a modern, secure facility to house and display flora, fauna, geological specimens, historical artifacts, and documents and works of art, the government passed legislation creating a provincial museum in 1929.
John Clarence Webster, a member of the national Historic Sites and Monuments Board, worked strenuously to recognize the history of pre-Loyalist New Brunswick, an effort that was resisted by the NBHS old guard with its focus on the Loyalists.