References in periodicals archive ?
The release of 24 Nihoa miller-birds on Laysan Island began a new chapter in the recovery efforts for this critically endangered species.
The whooping crane and the Nihoa miller-bird are but two examples of the many bird species that have come to the brink of extinction, only to be pulled away from the precipice through the efforts of the Service and our partners.
Fish and Wildlife Service biologists and other scientists are concerned that the Nihoa millerbird could meet the fate of its close relative, the Laysan millerbird (Acrocephalus familiaris familiaris).
Nihoa Island does not have rabbits; however, in the 1980s, a non-native grasshopper (Schistocerca nitens) arrived on the island.
By the time the exterminators, who also teach at the University of Wyoming, arrived, Nihoa was again "impressively verdant." All the native herbivores appeared to be doing well despite enduring a period of scorched-earth conditions, and the Nihoa millerbird, a species once on the edge of extinction, was thriving on a new grasshopper diet.
Hawaiian conservationists still insisted on turning the clock back to before 1977, when, they believed, the grasshoppers had stowed away on a freighter, ridden favorable winds to Nihoa, and lain low for a quarter-century waiting for the perfect combination of drought and heat to create the right conditions for them to multiply wildly and ravage their adopted paradise.
The average size of spiny lobsters generally increased northwestward from Nihoa along the Hawaiian Archipelago (Uchida et al., 1980).
Observations on surface-released, sublegal spiny lobsters, and potential spiny lobster predators near Necker and Nihoa. Southwest Fish.
- Distributions of species were analyzed to determine single-island endemism, where the following groups were each considered a single island: Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (Kure Atoll, Midway Island, Pearl and Hermes Reef, Lisianski Island, Laysan Island, Gardner Island, French Frigate Shoals, Necker Island), Nihoa, Ni'ihau, Kaua'i, O'ahu, Maui Nui complex (Maui, Moloka'i, Lana'i, and Kaho'olawe), and the island of Hawai'i.
Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) and American Bird Conservancy set out on an expedition to tiny Nihoa Island, where the single remaining population of miller-birds persists.
Presently, the WESTPAC bed, between Nihoa and Necker Islands, is the only designated Refugia.
of the islands and atolls in the NWHI from Nihoa Island to Kure Atoll.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- nihilistic delusion
- nihilistic delusion
- Nihon Aircraft Manufacturing Company
- Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai
- Nihon Bureiku Kogyu
- Nihon Care Dog Association
- Nihon Data Fusion Co., Ltd.
- Nihon Data Skill
- Nihon Database Kaihatu
- Nihon Demoa Kogya Co. Ltd.
- Nihon Educational Television
- Nihon Eyelash Extension Association
- Nihon Fukushi University
- Nihon Gaishi Kaisha
- Nihon Gene Research Laboratories
- Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai
- Nihon Hoso Kyokai
- Nihon Hoso Unyu Co., Ltd.
- Nihon Housou Kyoukai
- Nihon Inter Electronics Corporation
- Nihon Jitensha Shinkokai
- Nihon Kaiheiki Kogyo
- Nihon Keidanren
- Nihon Keizai Shimbun
- Nihon Ken Hozonkai
- Nihon Kick Boxing
- Nihon Koten Bungaku Taikei
- Nihon Medi-Physics Co., Ltd.
- Nihon Ruuteru Kyoudan