References in periodicals archive ?
Martell maintains that an independent body, led by a scientific team like the one at OHCOW currently evaluating miners' health records, is needed to manage the claims process.
* The research/stakeholder team was comprised of individuals from the following organizations: Citizenship and Immigration Canada; Public Health Agency of Canada; Ontario Ministry of Labour; Injured Workers' Consultants (a legal advocacy organization); Workplace Safety and Prevention Services; Workplace Safety & Insurance Board; Workers' Health and Safety Centre (Ontario); Skills for Change (a large Toronto-based settlement and training organization); The Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCOW); Institute for Work & Health.
Although no funding is available for her work, Aubin said thanks to a sponsorship from OHCOW, she will be giving each participant a $5 gift card to Tim Hortons in gratitude for their participation.
Her work later inspired the current research being done by OHCOW and that of Aubin's Master's thesis.
She's also critical of the lack of funding from the Ministry of Labour for the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCOW), which has been compiling miners' information in a database for a future research study.
Martell has hosted intake clinics with OHCOW where miners share their work and health histories as part of the database.
"The ALS number was jumping out at us, even though it was only five, but now we have 11 people who've come forward," said Dave Wilkin, OHCOW's chief operating officer, during a presentation on McIntyre Powder research at the Workplace Safety North mining conference, held in Sudbury in April.
"They absolutely support that I'm on the right track with this and that OHCOW is on the right track with the database in studying this."
Dave Wilken, OHCOW's chief operating officer, said it's too early to draw any conclusions about potential links between McIntyre Powder and neurodegenerative disease, as it will take weeks for the organization to parse through the information gleaned from the roughly 150 participants who registered at the clinic.
It's OHCOW's mandate to conduct diagnostic assessments of medical conditions people think are associated with their work, said Dave Wilken, OHCOW's chief operating officer.
The summer months have been spent spreading the word and developing partnerships with key partners such as the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCOW) and the Mines and Aggregates Safety and Health Association.
That is why the company was chosen for the award in 2003, Donna Campbell, executive director of OHCOW says.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Ohci Base Address Register
- Ohdo bepharophimosis syndrome
- Ohdo syndrome
- Ohdo syndrome, Say/Barber/Biesecker type
- Ohdo syndrome, SBBYS variant
- Ohdo-Hirayama-Terawaki syndrome
- Ohdo-Madokoro-Sonoda syndrome