References in classic literature ?
If, I say, while these sacred rites, which are in common to genus omne animantium, are in agitation between the stag and his mistress, any hostile beasts should venture too near, on the first hint given by the frighted hind, fierce and tremendous rushes forth the stag to the entrance of the thicket; there stands he centinel over his love, stamps the ground with his foot, and with his horns brandished aloft in air, proudly provokes the apprehended foe to combat.
I have plenty of ideas and facts, you know, and I can see he is just the man to put them into shape--remembers what the right quotations are, omne tulit punctum, and that sort of thing--gives subjects a kind of turn.
'Omne ignotum pro magnifico,' you know, and my poor little reputation, such as it is, will suffer shipwreck if I am so candid.
"It was the fruiterer," replied my friend, "who brought you to the conclusion that the mender of soles was not of sufficient height for Xerxes et id genus omne."
"Mox in omne genus crudelitatis erupit numquam deficiente materia.
(6) Such a program was also utilized by James le Palmer for his fourteenth-century Omne Bonum as a replacement for "the opening chapters of non-alphabetical medieval encyclopedias," as observed by Lucy Freeman Sandler.
So how should we judge Montaigne's approach when, in order to discredit astrology and human reason, he uses an argument which in fact asks us to admit the validity of the practices of "those who tell us tall stories, such as alchemists and those who make prognostications: judicial, astrologers, chiromancers, doctors and 'id genus omne'" (The Complete Essays 242)?
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- omn hor
- omn. bih.
- omn. hor.
- omn. quad. hor.
- Omne actum ab intentione agentis est judicandum
- Omne crimen ebrietas et incendit et detegit
- Omne magis dignum trahit ad se minus dignum sit antiquius
- Omne magnum exemplum habet aliquid ex iniquio
- Omne majus continet in se minus
- Omne majus minus in se complecitur
- Omne Nocte
- Omne sacramentum debet esse de certa scientia
- Omne testamentum morte consummatum est
- Omnes Gentes
- Omni Air International Virtual
- Omni Bearing Indicator
- Omni Bearing Selector
- Omni Box Entertainment
- Omni Business Corporate International
- Omni Consumer Products
- Omni Dei
- Omni Directional Approach Lighting System
- Omni Directional Vehicle
- Omni Financial Services, Inc
- Omni Gaming Products
- Omni INTersection