PGWPPretty Goes With Pretty (blog)
Copyright 1988-2018, All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
It is important to be aware of what your likely CRS point score will be before you apply for a PGWP to ensure that you will ultimately qualify for an ITA under Express Entry.
Many students assume that if they are studying at a DLI that has been recognized by IRCC, that they will also qualify for a PGWP. They are mistaken.
To be eligible for a PGWP you must be taking a program of study at a public college or university or at a private school that is able to grant certificates, diplomas or degrees in accordance with provincial legislation.
Private language schools, vocational schools and private colleges generally are not able to issue provincially recognized educational credentials and completing their programs will not allow a student to obtain a PGWP. This has generated considerable confusion which has recently lead the Minister of Immigration to release an announcement cautioning students about their choice of school given their ultimate immigration goals.
If you graduated from a DESIGNATED LEARNING INSTITUTION, and want to stay in Canada temporarily while working, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
So, while the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship acknowledges that there is a problem, he only refers students back to the list of DLIs and NOT to the list of PGWP eligible schools.
On January 16, 2018 my colleague posted an open letter to Minister Hussen calling upon him to provide clarity to international students seeking a PGWP.
But not all DLIs enable a student to qualify for a PGWP. You need to choose your school wisely if permanent residence is your ultimate goal.
If you select a school that is not eligible for a PGWP - you will need to continue your studies at an eligible school to be able to qualify for both the PGWP and permanent residence.
This will have significant cost implications so be certain at the outset that your school qualifies you to obtain a PGWP.
If you have any doubts as to whether your chosen school will entitle you to a PGWP, it is recommended that you make several cross checks with a variety of immigration professionals before you proceed with registering.
Many schools advise students that they will be eligible for work permits whether they are Co-op work permits or PGWPs.