References in periodicals archive ?
(26) Nicholas Saxman, "Fuelling the war: Diamonds and Oil," BBC Thursday, 28 January 1999, 14:15 GMT Funds from this oil will likely be used by the FAA to purchase arms for action against UNITA. If oil production rises in the next few years as predicted--in contrast to UNITA's alluvial diamond resources, which are gradually becoming degraded after years of extraction--the government could begin to enjoy an expanded resource advantage against UNITA; however, the question of whether continued war would be the best use of these funds is another matter.
But a Unita spokesman based in Geneva claimed rebel Angolan government troops were to blame.
For decades, US support for UNITA helped perpetuate one of Africa's most brutal wars.
The UNITA forces had some stolen T-54/54 tanks that they had captured up near Lehman's position, so Lehman had one of the UNITA soldiers show him how to drive a tank.
UNITA funds and operations within the EU will be frozen as far as possible, and no more funds or financial resources will be made available for the benefit of UNITA members.
The United States gives crucial funding to UNITA during the Cold War years, with the Soviet Union supporting the MPLA.
Contrary to glowing reports in the US press, UNITA was never really interested in Western-style democracy.
A statement on the party s website said both Unita and Casa "are preparing to present documents that prove the results presented by the National Electoral Commission are not the same as those tabulated inside the polling stations in different parts of the country".
Not as well known as the Sicilian mafia, the 'Ndrangheta in Calabria or the Napoli Camorra, Sacra Corona Unita is believed to focus on contraband cigarettes and smuggling from the Balkans and Eastern Europe.
In fact, during the height of the war between the government and Savimbi's UNITA (1988-2002), both sides subjected civilians in the rural population to increasing violence.
Unlike many of the studies on postcolonial Angola that have condemned UNITA for the violence that Angola experienced or that have emphasized the role of external players in Angola's postcolonial development, Assis Malaquias's study is more nuanced.
Because peace came only as a consequence of the military defeat of UNITA in 2002, there has been little incentive for the MPLA government to address the root causes of the protracted civil conflict or to promote true reconciliation through the integration of the defeated, and promote broad-based political debate in order to create the conditions for transparent, just and accountable governance.
Acronyms browser ?
Full browser ?
- Unit Ventilator
- Unit Ventilator
- Unit Victim Advocacy
- Unit Voting Counselor
- Unit Vulnerability List
- unit water content
- Unit Watts Out
- Unit Weapons Trainer
- Unit Web Site Requirements
- Unit weight
- Unit weight
- unit-area acoustical ohm
- Unit-Cell Waveguide
- unit-dose package
- Unit-dose packaging
- Unit-Head Machine Tool
- Unit-Invariant Abelian
- Unit-level Command and Control
- Unit-Level Command Simulation
- Unit-Level Effectiveness Assessment Documentation
- Unit-Level Logistics System - Ground/Aviation/S4
- unit-linked policy
- Unit-Liter Dose
- unit-membrane model
- unit-related equipment and supplies
- Unit-weighted regression
- Unit/Mobile Conduct-Of-Fire Trainer
- Unita Analisi Crimini Violenti
- Unità di Conto Europea
- Unità di Documentazione e Informazione per la Ricerca Agraria
- Unità di Informazione Finanziaria
- Unità di Ricerca Locali
- Unità Immobiliari Urbane
- Unità Lavorative
- Unita Locale Socio Sanitaria
- unità pediatrica di terapia intensiva
- Unità Sanitarie Locali
- Unita Socio Sanitarie Locali
- Unita Tecnologie Materiale Rotabile
- Unità Terapia Intensiva Neonatale
- Unità Territoriale di Salute Mentale
- Unita, L
- Unità, L
- unital left module
- Unital module
- Unital, Completely Positive